Tuesday, June 22, 2010

04 - North Carolina at Pickathon

I am taking a trip in August. A trip which was meant and timed to be celebratory, and as of today I found out that this celebratory trip will in fact be premature.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I digress.

This journey is a mix of business and pleasure which will take me to Denver(ish) Colorado to visit friends and to attend the Mile High and Folks Festival, Monterey California for a remote sensing class put on by NOAA, and Portland Oregon for a jem of a festival, and my feature for today, Pickathon.

I discovered this festival after searching for tour dates for the Punch Brothers (A little band thrown together by Chris Thile... who used to have this little band by the name of Nickel Creek.. maybe you've heard of them). They're performance at bonnaroo was outstanding and I was thirsty for more. While perusing dates and locations, on a whim I clicked on Pickathon.

That was all it took.

The line-up boasts over 40 incredible artists hailing from all over the country... and Canada!. What was most interesting though, was the strong showing of groups from North Carolina. Second only to the host state of Oregon, there are 5 native North Carolinian groups representing this year; 3 hailing from Asheville, 1 from Durham, and 1 from Raleigh. Compelled by the desire to represent for our great state front row center at the shows of Megafaun, Woody Pines, Town Mountain, Sallie Ford, and none other than Chatham County Line, I went all in.

This is why.

Megafaun - The Longest Day
My hometown of Durham, NC


Woody Pines - Satisfied
Asheville, NC



Town Mountain - I'm on Fire
More amazing strings of Asheville, NC


Sallie Ford and the Sound Outside - I'm worth it
Asheville, NC by way of Portland, OR
(LOVE HER)


Chatham County Line - Birmingham Jail
Inspired by the Chatham/Wake County border... headquartered in the city of Raleigh, NC


Chatham County Line has also worked alongside NC's own Tift Merritt, who I will see at Folks Fest in Colorado.

Unfortunately I will have to leave the festival early to make it to my class in time, but something tells me camping 3 days in the woods, listening to the music of my origins, set during the Pacific NW summer, will be an experience worthy of every penny and frequent flyer mile spent.


For a sample of the entire festival, click here for the Pickathon Radio Widget.

Enjoy ya'll!

No comments:

Post a Comment