Thursday, June 3, 2010

01 - Toubab Krewe

Stuff white people like? Not updating their blogs....

... and black music that black people don't listen to anymore.

Just kidding. I've been really busy with work. Actually, I am [was] working right now, but i'm working partially to free up time for fun. One of those *potentially* fun activities is going to the Orange Peel in Asheville, NC this weekend to see the homecoming of the one and only, Toubab Krewe.

I don't have time to write a lot, but if you haven't noticed, I dig world music... and definitely African world music. Well this bunch of mountain boys from Asheville, NC have spent a great deal of time in west Africa, mostly Mali. They're work is solely instrumental, and for someone locked in a room with no windows looking down a scope at itty bitty organisms all day, it helps me transcend my itty bitty world to the vast, open, and mystical African plains..... or something like that.

I first saw them at Bonnaroo 2009. This is video is from that exact show:
"Sirens"


And this is the video that makes me regret not going to Bonnaroo this year. This is Justin from the Toubab Krewe playing the Kora with Matisyahu. SO AMAZING.

For those who don't know Matisyahu yet, it's a Hasidic Jew who sings reggae. Here, he beat boxes for 6 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment